About Me

My photo
I'm a single mother, never married. Professionally, I am an academic advisor at the University of Northern Iowa. Personally, I enjoy going places and doing things with my daughter, Bailey. I'm also a personal advocate for the March of Dimes.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Science Center of Iowa

On June 18th, Bailey and I were Adventureland-bound.  However sirens about 10 miles from Altoona alerted us to a high wind advisory of 70 mph winds which caused us to detour at a Kum n Go station.  After checking the weather forecast for the rest of the day, showers throughout the day did not seem like an enjoyable time at the amusement park.  Instead we spent the day inside with Hope and Graham at the Science Center of Iowa in downtown Des Moines.  I had wanted to visit this at some point in our travels to Des Moines so this worked out great.  We will return again to check out the exhibits we didn't have time to play at and also play at some of our favorite stations.
Fun with air and a beach ball

The weather forecast station had a green screen with green pieces of fabric for the kids to have fun with.  Bailey's dramatic flair definitely came out as she reported the weather forecast.  WHO-TV does broadcast the weather from this location occasionally, but that day they did not.

We scored 2/5 (slightly cracked) on the gigantic egg drop both times we attempted to create a protective case.

We created a paper rocket and then blasted it off to see how far it would go.  (I had to put my Physics knowledge from back in high school to work on this one).

Huge vats of soap and water provided fun with bubbles

No comments:

Post a Comment