About Me

My photo
I'm a single mother, never married. Professionally, I am an academic advisor at the University of Northern Iowa. Personally, I enjoy going places and doing things with my daughter, Bailey. I'm also a personal advocate for the March of Dimes.

Saturday, January 19, 2019

Retreats Are Snow Much Fun


Two years ago I visited Cedar Creek Retreat Center and fell in love.  To explain my path to this beautiful blessing from God, I'd like to go back to October 2009...

Knowing I enjoyed scrapbooking, my sister-in-law invited me to a scrapbook retreat at Pine Lake Camps.  I'd never been to a retreat before so I had no idea what I was in for.  In short, it was a life-changing event for me.  The entire weekend was awesome.  The retreat was facilitated by Follow Hard Ministries.  Although I got to scrapbook for an entire weekend, have homemade meals prepared for me and meet some really awesome women, the bigger benefit was growing closer to God.  Becky and Lynn, the 2 women behind Follow Hard Ministries, led breakout sessions that involved singing, connecting scripture with the theme for the weekend (purses), along with fun and laughter.  I was so moved by the entire weekend that I made it a priority to get every retreat on my calendar, and I have.

A couple years ago Becky shared with us at a retreat that she felt God moving her to start a retreat center down in southern Iowa.  Her new partner in the ministry, Sherri, had moved down to the southern part of the state and they had begun to look for land and a place for God to place Follow Hard Ministries.  Lots of prayer and trust eventually led them to a property in the country, outside of Winterset, Iowa.  Cedar Creek was this place and I was blessed to attend my first retreat there 2 years ago.  Like my first retreat at Pine Lakes, my first retreat at Cedar Creek was life-changing.  The property is in a secluded area of the countryside.  The home is so welcoming and comforting, with different spaces throughout to have peace and spend time with God.  Becky and Sherri are amazing hosts, preparing homecooked meals throughout the weekend and providing a great space downstairs to scrapbook all weekend long.  At different points throughout the weekend we take a short break from our scrapbooks to spend time in a devotional and playing silly games.  It gives a renewed energy to get back to cropping, but also to remember that all we have comes from God.

Last weekend I attended my 5th scrapbook retreat at Cedar Creek.  The theme was Snowjama.  Little did we know that a snowstorm would cover Southern Iowa throughout the weekend.  Snow began to fall Friday night and continued all day Saturday.  Due to the heavy snowfall overnight, we were literally snowed in for the day, but what better place to spend a Snow Day.  Having discovered the importance of self-care over these past couple months, that was my focus going into last weekend.  To take care of myself and spend time with God.  I praise God that he has blessed Follow Hard Ministries with Cedar Creek Retreat Center and will continue to pray that the work Becky and Sherri do in spreading the Word will bring their future plans to fruition.  I can't wait to return again.

No comments:

Post a Comment