About Me

My photo
I'm a single mother, never married. Professionally, I am an academic advisor at the University of Northern Iowa. Personally, I enjoy going places and doing things with my daughter, Bailey. I'm also a personal advocate for the March of Dimes.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I'm Getting Things Done


Over the past 3 weeks, my workdays have moved at a slower pace. However I have felt just as productive thanks to a great book I've been reading, Getting Things Done by David Allen which was recommended to me by my sister, Hope. A couple months ago I was extremely stressed out from work and ended up developing a terrible cold which hung on for a couple months. Remembering another great book I had read a couple years ago, Do One Thing Different by Bill O'hanlon, I knew that I had to do some things differently. Allen talks about mastering your workflow through 5 simple steps: Collecting, Processing, Organizing, Reviewing and Doing. I was excited to read that I was already practicing some methods he suggests like writing things down and finding a place for everything other than your inbox. Some of the new methods he suggests, I've been trying to implement and be mindful of at work and at home. Hopefully if I can condition myself during these next 3 months, the rat race of the school year won't seem so overwhelming. Change is good!

1 comment:

  1. Keep at it, it pays off dividends time and again. You start wondering why no one else "gets it." Next book - 4 Hour Workweek.

    ReplyDelete