About Me

My photo
I'm a single mother, never married. Professionally, I am an academic advisor at the University of Northern Iowa. Personally, I enjoy going places and doing things with my daughter, Bailey. I'm also a personal advocate for the March of Dimes.

Friday, May 15, 2009

Mommy Time


Early in my motherhood years, I learned the importance of saying 'no' to Bailey when she would say 'Mommy, play with me'. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy playing with her. In fact, I played with her all the time. However the pleasure of playing together wore off and I wasn't really focusing on her, but rather the other things I would rather be doing. So I developed 'Mommy Time'. When I had played with Bailey for a while, I would say 'I need Mommy Time now'. This allowed me to do what I wanted to do. From then on, whenever she saw me reading a book or watching TV, she would recognize that as Mommy Time.


From Mommy Time developed Mommy Weekends. As a single parent, about the only time I get to myself is when I am at work. Although I love my job, work is still not doing leisurely activities that I get to do during Mommy Time. So now I try to make a point of scheduling a weekend for Bailey to go to her grandparents every couple months. In fact, I get another one this weekend. Once Sunday afternoon rolls around, I'm usually ready to go back to being a full time Mom. And scheduling some Mommy Time during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment