About Me

My photo
I'm a single mother, never married. Professionally, I am an academic advisor at the University of Northern Iowa. Personally, I enjoy going places and doing things with my daughter, Bailey. I'm also a personal advocate for the March of Dimes.

Friday, May 22, 2009

Take Pleasure in the Small Things

Today marks the start of our summer hours at the college with offices closing at noon. In the past, summer hours involved going home at 4:30 every day. But for some reason, getting an extra 4 hours on a Friday afternoon for myself seems like a bigger perk to me. For the next 10 weeks I will get 4 hours of Mommy time each week and get to start my weekend 4 hours earlier. I know there are many people who make a lot more money than me and probably have better benefits. But I have to wonder how happy they really are in their chosen profession. Do they get to go to a job they love every day like I do? Do they get to meet some of the most amazing and interesting students and colleagues I get to work with? For me, so many benefits in my job are not even the monetary kind. I get to drop Bailey off at school every day, go to a job I love (most days), work with some great colleagues and students and go home to spend time with Bailey. I'll continue to take pleasure in these small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment